Sunday, June 04, 2006

Had a good shift.
Coming off the shift before I home and got to bed at 9 am and laid in bed worrying I wouldn't be able to sleep. I knew I needed to be up by 4 to make it to St.D's for my night shift so I decided on the following: if I was still laying in bed awake at 10am I'd take fifty of benadryl and a couple of ounces of Maker's Mark and just put myself down for the count. Fortunately the last thing I remember seeing on the clock was 9:49...and then I was out. Unfortunately, the next thing I saw was 1:13. Some Jehova's Witnesses the Biscuit had befriended (Woe unto them!) came knocking on the door. I was awake and when I laid back in bed I realized that it was gone--that precious window of opportunity has passed and I would not sleep again. Twelve hour night shift, Saturday, St.D ghetto, and I was going to has three and half hours of sleep. I braced myself for the pain to come.

It began horribly--Willie G. was on the day shift signing out to me. This lazy sack of crap is one of the old guard at St.D's who bankrupted the ED, demoralized the entire department, drove the hourly to $100 an hour and basically drove the F'ing car off the cliff. I hate coming on after him because there is always a load of patients waiting to be seen that he somehow just hasn't been able to get to. Lazy shit! He makes me fucking sick! How he can have the balls to speak to me after he pulls one of his little fairy princess disappearing acts I can not fathom. The only answer is that he has no honor. He's one of those vile little people who have no pride and no integrity and who worm their way through life with shit eating smiles and greasy little hands and a thousand excuses for every occasion. When I come on to relieve Bearie the patients are seen, the dispos are in and the rack is clear: Bearie owns his ED and he takes care of his shit. Which is why I admire Bearie and why I wouldn't cross the road to piss on Willie G if he were on fire.

So, I saw seven patients in my first hour and was only one patient behind by 7pm. The resident who was on (Yes, the G had a 3RD YEAR ER RESIDENT WORKING WITH HIM--2 ER DOCS IN THE THE 14 BED ED!!--AND HE STILL LEFT SIX OF THE 12 FILLED BEDS FOR ME TO SEE!!!) didn't do shit for that hour. It's not her fault--I got to know her when the G finally left and she's strong, hard working, competent. She worked hard for me. With Willie she got sucked down into his sick little world of hateful inadequacy and probably wasted an hour of patiwent care time learning about how to differentiate Hemophilia A from Hemohilia B using only a sheet of newspaper, a tallow candle stub, and a common pocket knife. He's a cancer.

Then, bizarrely, a good friend from residency called because he knew I was on and he was bringing in his relative with a psychotic break. She got the cadillac treatment and I'm pretty happy with the care I gave and got for her. Psych issues are so delicate and so delicate.

And right at 5am (11 hours deep in the shift) we got a full arrest. Guy got up to go to the bathroom and just dropped dead in front of his wife. Medics brought him in and I'll be damned if we didn't get a pulse, a perfusing pressure, and a pulse ox of 100%. Pulled his pH back to 7.16.....and I think we were headed towards even better. His BP was just hanging on when I left at 7--he was in the 80's on max'd Dopa and a little Levophed--but I felt I had managed him pretty well.

Bed soon. One night shift to go and the Biscuit gets home tonight.
U-561.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home