Sunday, July 02, 2006

Lately I've been feeling like a real ER doctor. I've had a few good days in a row.
A couple of days ago at the D I had a nice CVA. The guy came in 1 hour after the onset of symptoms. I bullied the CT tech into doing a STAT CT Head and pushed this guy hard. The highlight of it all came when we hijacked a critical care team en route to the ICU and forced them to take our biy instead. The guy had a huge bleed and was way, way, way not a TPA candidate. I called the local community hospital and expedited the shit out of him. This guy came in, was worked up and was on his way out in 1:45--that's some good fucking Emergency Medicine. It felt good and I let the nurses know that I was ready to put my wallet where my orders were (forgive the incredibly awkward phrasing) and buy the department some pizza or Starbuucks, whichever they preferred.
And today I was CPR boy. We had a lady come in in full arrest. She got coded up and somehow we pulled her back and saved her for a agonizing family agony-fest that resulted ij her husband kissing her good-bye and telling me to stop the pressors and let her die. In the meantime I got called to the floor and ran a code up there. Holy shit. Floor nursing is the biggest scam in medicine. These people are idiots and thanks to the beauty of the nurses union they make the same miney that actual real honest to God competent nurses make. Running a code with these idiots was unbelievable. I would have been better off with a troop of high achieving cub scouts. I kept on telling myself "Stay calm, be polite. Stay calm, be polite. Stay calm, be polite...." Somehow, even with Strike Force Idiot on my side we pulled the guy back.

The med students were impressed. I was reminded of the time when I was awed by this stuff. When reaching into death and pulling people back made me wax philosophical and (honestly) stand in awe at the momentousness of it all. Now the wonder of it all is gone--I run the codes and sometimes they live and sometimes they die. I fill out the billing form and go on.

I got an email from my Bro. He nailed the F'ing LSAT! 99%! How's that for some strong fucking work! Good to have a lawyer on team 561.

Strong work, Bro. Strong work.
U-561

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home